John:

There is no good or bad answer to this question. It's more a question of
circumstance and what works for your company.

                Would this be a competitive bid project or private
negotiated?

                                If Competitive bid, is project management a
spec requirement?

For me, there was always a "factor" determined by the type of project,
ie.hospital, retail store, warehouse and so on. I even have a factor for the
individual GC.

Of course that factor came from hard earned experience. I'm not sure if that
was your question or not. but I hope it spurs some discussion.

John Paulsen - SET

Crown Fire System Design

6282 Seeds Rd.

Grove City, OH 43123