From: Sprinklerforum <sprinklerforum-boun...@lists.firesprinkler.org> On Behalf
Of Michael Hill
Sent: Tuesday, March 13, 2018 1:39 PM
To: sprinklerforum@lists.firesprinkler.org
Subject: Sprinkler Pipe Passing Thru Unsprinklered Areas

I seem to remember being told early on in my fire protection career that
sprinkler pipe could not pass thru unsprinklered areas of an otherwise
sprinklered building. Does anyone know where this comes from or if it is even a
requirement?

In my case the water comes from the BFP passes thru an unconditioned (different
problem that I know how to handle) and unsprinklered crawl space to a fire
pump. Water goes from the fire pump passes back thru the same crawl space to a
standpipe with floor control assemblies. Water from the floor control assembly
then goes back thru the same crawl space to the occupied portion of the
building where the fire pump is. This was someone else's design that the GC
wants me to follow. I am looking for arguments for why this isn't the best way
to run these pipes. Common sense does not apply here.

Mike Hill