NFPA 13 3.3.2 “two bathrooms can be adjacent to each other and are considered
separate rooms, provided they are enclosed with the required level of
construction.”

Taylor Schumacher

From: Sprinklerforum [mailto:sprinklerforum-boun...@lists.firesprinkler.org] On
Behalf Of Fox, Duane T. (FireMarshal)
Sent: Monday, September 24, 2018 9:48 AM
To: 'sprinklerforum@lists.firesprinkler.org'
Subject: Omission of sprinklers in hotel bathrooms

I have a hotel project where the designer has placed a door inside the bathroom
between the sink and toilet/shower.  The bathroom is over 55 sqft, however,
with the placement of the door inside the bathroom each area on either side of
the door is less than 55 sqft.  NFPA 13 – 8.15.8.1 states bathrooms under 55
sqft are exempt (with other criteria met) and the appendix for that section
states a door is not required in order to omit sprinkler as long as the
bathroom complies with the definition for compartment. I assume the door in the
appendix is between the bathroom and the living space.  My question: is adding
a door inside the bathroom, making two areas within the bathroom, a viable
design to allow the sprinklers to be omitted?

In my opinion the bathroom square footage is the entire area within the
bathroom space no matter how many doors are used. Therefore, the space would
need coverage.

Duane T. Fox, Jr., CFPS, CFI, CFPE
Asst Chief, Technical Services
DE State Fire Marshal’s Office