Did you all notice what the appendix to 3.7.1 Definition of Panel construction.

A.3.7.1 Obstructed Construction. The following examples of obstructed
construction are provided to assist the user in determining the type of
construction feature:

(4) Panel Construction. The term panel construction as used in this standard
includes ceiling panels formed by members capable of trapping heat to aid the
operation of sprinklers and limited to a maximum of 300 ft2 (28 m2)in area.

There should be no unfilled penetrations in the cross-sectional area of the
bounding structural members including the interface at the roof.

Beams spaced more than 71⁄2 ft (2.3 m) apart and framed into girders qualify as
panel construction, provided the 300 ft2 (28 m2) area limitation is met.

That last sentence sounds a lot like what Jerry has described.

Although ; A.3.7.2 Unobstructed Construction. The following examples

of unobstructed construction are provided to assist the user in

determining the type of construction feature:

(3) Smooth Ceiling Construction. The term smooth ceiling construction as used
in this standard includes the following:

(b) Continuous smooth bays formed by wood, concrete, or steel beams spaced more
than 71⁄2 ft (2.3 m) on

centers — beams supported by columns, girders, or trusses.

Also sounds like this definition? So which is it?

Anthony Carrizosa

Project Manager | Fire Protection

7855 S 206th St Kent, WA 98032

Cell: 206-679-5283 | Office: 253-872-7222

https://archerconstruction.com <https://archerconstruction.com/>