From: Sprinklerforum <sprinklerforum-boun...@lists.firesprinkler.org> On Behalf
Of Prahl, Craig/GVL via Sprinklerforum
Sent: Thursday, November 5, 2020 2:29 PM
To: sprinklerforum@lists.firesprinkler.org
Cc: Prahl, Craig/GVL <craig.pr...@jacobs.com>; Fpdcdesign <fpdcdes...@gmail.com>
Subject: RE: [EXTERNAL] Re: Class IA Flammable Liquids

1A materials are fairly uncommon.  Often they are mislabeled due to people only
looking at the flash point and not at the boiling point of the liquid.

In cosmetics 1B is common.

You need to know exactly what the material is. Request a SDS on the material.

NFPA doesn't get into comparing quantities to sprinkler design.

You need to know what it is, how much there is, what kind of container is it
in, is it just stored or is there any dispensing of the product, is it stored
on the floor or on racks.  What does the SDS indicate as far as approved
firefighting methods.  Do these areas handling the 1B and potentially 1A have
secondary containment of the spilled material within the room (pool fire) or is
it evacuated out of the area?

Those are the opening questions.

Craig Prahl | Jacobs | Group Lead/SME - Fire Protection | 864.676.5252 |
craig.pr...@jacobs.com | www.jacobs.com
1041 East Butler Road   Greenville, South Carolina  29606