But this also underscores that water districts are staffed by and their systems
improved and maintained by human beings, so whether it’s a public or private
fire main system, ITM flow testing is a critical aspect of “reliability” as we
assume our water supplies to be, especially when connected to a public system.
 Models for design, forward flow testing for maintenance – we need both.

6-7 years ago we were designing sprinkler and site fire systems for a large
community college complex.  The water district is well know to run very high
pressures and (usually) high flow rates in their systems, including the zone
feeding the subject campus.  There are three laterals from the public to the
private looped system, each one 8” in diameter.   We had 120 static on site
with about 80 residual if I recall correctly, but couldn’t get more than 1,100
GPM out of a 2½” port adjacent to the site.  Large complex, Type 2, local FD
only allowing 25% reduction for sprinklers, so needed 3,250 or something like
that and it extrapolated out to only about 10 PSI residual at that flow.
Water district’s model showed that the mains feeding the campus were easily
capable of meeting demand, but we couldn’t get it out of the hydrant on site.
I pitched the school that they pay us a wee bit extra to exercise all their
hydrants and valves, so we did that on a Saturday.   We found 7 (SEVEN!)
partially closed and one completely closed valve on their system and once
everything opened up we easily got 3,300 out of a 4” with about 45 psi residual.

For those who aren’t familiar with models, don’t be scared.  But we mustn’t
turn away from flow testing and ITM and we have to hope that public water
purveyors are exercising their systems too.

Steve L.