Thanks, Ken.  My valve was set for 175. The gauge was reading 150 for a long
time and just jumped to 175 the other day. No explanation that I can think of.

Again, opening the valve and draining water should reduce the pressure, right?
Except the gauge stays at 175 so I believe it is defective.  As far as a gauge
being standard, I can only say that whenever I’m in someone else’s house and I
have the chance, I check their valve box. And so far, I am the only one I have
seen with a gauge.

But if at some point I replace the gauge, I will get a glycerin filled one as
suggested.