From: Ken Wagoner <k...@parsleyconsulting.com>
Sent: Saturday, March 2, 2024 9:26 AM
To: sprinklerforum@lists.firesprinkler.org
Subject: [External][Sprinklerforum] Re: Fire sprinkler system pressure

Eli,

The pressure relief valve should operate whether any water is flowing or not.
My understanding from several different manufacturer's I've checked with is
that for such pressure relief valves which are not field adjustable, they are
factory set to relieve at 175, 200, 225, or 300 psi.  It would be worth
investigating what factory relief setting was selected at installation.

In reference to the statement of the tech that 'most systems don't have a
pressure dial', color me dubious at that comment.  I note that -13 requires a
pressure gauge to be installed which causes me to wonder what he might have
been describing.

As for the gauge - I did not intend to refer to a "water-filled" gauge, rather
I believe I described a "liquid filled gauge".  I remember that I didn't
describe the specific liquid, however what I've used in the past was a gauge
relatively filled with glycerine, as it tended to dampen - or slow down - the
fluctuations in the readings from the needle.  Current AFSA president Bob
Caputo taught me the value of that many years ago when he described attempting
to get an accurate number from a bouncing gauge during a flow test.

sincerely,
Ken Wagoner, SET
Parsley Consulting
500 West Mechanic Street
Harrisonville, Missouri 64701-2235
Phone: (760) 745-6181
Visit the
website<https://linkprotect.cudasvc.com/url?a=http%3a%2f%2fwww.parsleyconsulting.com%2f&c=E,1,Y5zKJKPEh1mBEBqSR-VE9cUKl5y-eyP8BpvmE_5j9ZqW2eJbNphYzrCMBZ-2YuX6d-RRkHI4gQ1FV-cvOeCfRC58uZS9NiToZv2mx7909oCqLvCW_n5hDHeK&typo=1>