I'd like to share an object between the console and the GUI front end, so
that changes made by one are reflected in the other. The objects I want to
share are interfaces to devices and instruments, so only one instance of
each is allowed (or even meaningful). I'd like to be able to be able to
control the device through both the console and a UI plugin. Separately
they work, but I haven't found a way of sharing the device. The method used
by the `namespace_browser` is to push and pull copies of the objects. That
won't work in my case. In the past, with the (very) old style console this
could be done with the `update_namespace()` method.