Hi all,

On the behalf of the Spyder Project Contributors
<https://github.com/spyder-ide/spyder/graphs/contributors>, I'm pleased to
announce the third alpha of our next major version: Spyder *6.0*.

We've been working on this version for more than one year now and it's
working relatively well. There are still several bugs to squash but we
encourage all people who like the bleeding edge to give it a try. This
alpha version includes more than 532 commits over our latest alpha release
(6.0.0a2).

Spyder 6.0 comes with the following interesting new features and fixes:

   -

   New features
   - New installers for Windows, Linux and macOS based on Conda and
      Conda-forge.
      - Add a Debugger pane to explore the stack frame of the current
      debugging session.
      - Add a button to the Debugger pane to pause the current code
      execution and enter the debugger afterwards.
      - Add submenu to the Consoles menu to start a new console for a
      specific Conda or Pyenv environment.
      - Show Matplotlib backend state in status bar.
      - Make kernel restarts be much faster for the current interpreter.
      - Turn runfile, debugfile, runcell and related commands to IPython
      magics.
   -

   Important fixes
   - Restore ability to load Hdf5 and Dicom files through the Variable
      Explorer (this was working in Spyder 4 and before).
   -

   New API features
   - Generalize Run plugin to support generic inputs and executors. This
      allows plugins to declare what kind of inputs (i.e. file, cell or
      selection) they can execute and how they will display the result.
      - Add a new plugin for the files and symbols switcher.
      - Declare a proper API for the Projects plugin.

For a more complete list of changes, please see our changelog
<https://github.com/spyder-ide/spyder/blob/master/changelogs/Spyder-6.md>

You can easily install this alpha if you use conda (the package should be
available in the following days) by running:
conda install -c conda-forge/label/spyder_dev -c
conda-forge/label/spyder_kernels_rc -c conda-forge spyder=6.0.0a3

Or you can use pip with this command:
pip install --pre -U spyder

Enjoy!

Daniel