Thank you very much Mike!

The older baseline is on v0.9.7 but I am not sure if I can bump it up
'blindly' ... I think all constructs are "vanilla" so maybe it's safe.

In my v0.9.7 based model, I used history_meta recipe (slightly modified
though).

At any rate, after fudging around with some operations (aka commenting
things out, moving things after others) I managed to produce an offline
.sql migration that when ran within a single transaction did fail exactly
as the online migration did. Same exact DB error: "cannot drop table
groups_history because ..."

At this point, I think I will continue fudging around with the order of
things and eventually be able interject the bulk_updates/bulk_inserts I
need.

I'll report back with results after bumping up from 0.9.7 to see if the
error goes away.

Again, thanks a lot!!!!