I'm sorry - I still don't understand your setup. How do you know that
you've "encountered problems with create_engine" if you're not getting
any kind of exception from it?

If you really think that create_engine is failing but the exception is
being caught silently, why not change your code so that you've got an
exception handler around create_engine:

try:
    engine = create_engine(your_connection_string)
except Exception, e:
    import traceback
    log_file = open('/tmp/sqlalchemy_errors', 'w+')
    log_file.write('Exception from create_engine\n')
    log_file.write('%s\n' % e)
    log_file.write(traceback.format_exc())
    raise

But your life would be much easier if you learnt how to configure
SQLAlchemy's built-in logging features:

http://www.sqlalchemy.org/docs/core/engines.html#configuring-logging

What WSGI server and web framework are you using (if any)? It sounds
like they are hampering your efforts to debug this. You might find it
easier to run a very simple wsgi server such as the one in the wsgiref
module:

http://docs.python.org/library/wsgiref.html#module-wsgiref.simple_server

Simon