OK I have better news.    pymysql already did the thing I wanted him to do,
apparently, so connect like this:

e =
create_engine("mysql+pymysql://scott:tiger@mysql57/test?charset=utf8mb4&binary_prefix=true",
echo=True)

warning should be gone.

However, I'm going to implement the _binary prefix for all drivers in 1.3
as part of
https://bitbucket.org/zzzeek/sqlalchemy/issues/4216/mysql-specific-binary-warnings-1300
.