If you have example code for a mechanism that is more space efficient and/or faster, please share it with us.

"Bencode" is approximately the same space-wise as JSON, but encoding/decoding is potentially faster since it doesn't have to do any escaping for strings:

        https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bencode