> So after I write & compile the code, how can I tell SQLite to load it?  Or
> do I need to compile it into the sqlite libraries?

No, you install your user defined function using the
sqlite_create_function() or sqlite_create_aggreate() calls at runtime.

These calls require function pointer arguments. You need to pass a pointer
to your C language function(s). Your functions are then called by SQLite
when it needs to execute one of your new SQL functions.

Again, see the SQLite source, in particular the file func.c, for examples of
how to use these calls.