-----Original Message-----
From: Puneet Kishor [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Thursday, March 18, 2004 7:31 PM
To: SQLite
Subject: Re: [sqlite] moving from mySQL to SQLite - A guidance request

> At 3:12 PM -0500 3/18/04, rich coco wrote:
>> I have a legacy app that uses mySQL as the embedded RDBMS.
>> The app makes explicit invocations to mysql library functions.
>> There is no ODBC layer being used at all.
> <snip>
>> What about existing SQL statements (explicit arguments to mysql
>> function calls) that use SQL keywords/contructs (eg, REGEXP) not
>> supported by SQLite? Is there a best-practices way of doing this
>> kind of transition from one DB to another?
>> advice welcome.

(funny, a mySql app is already a "legacy" app ;-).)

I am in a similar situation. I am developing an app on Windows using
Perl, DBD-ODBC, and Access (for now, later to migrate to SQL Server). I
am also porting it to SQLite (primarily so I can create a x-platform
thingy and work on it at home on my Mac). There are the usual
function-specific gotchas --

Iif(expr, trueval, falseval) changes to (case when expr then trueval
else falseval end) kind of stuff. I can work around all this by
creating queries/views in the database so I have to refer to the same
"entity" in my scripts. However, I have run into the peculiar problem
for which I asked for help a little while back (no answer thus far) --
aliased columns in SQLite don't seem to auto-alias (for the want of a
better term) to the original column name. So, c.firstname is no longer
recognizable as firstname. This has really thrown me because now all my
views have to be re-done as

c.firstname AS firstname

I also am finding that parentheses are causing hiccups. If I have a
query with a complicated set of joins, parens are useful and necessary
for forcing the orders in joins to get rid of ambiguity. Some of the
Access FROM clauses with a lot of parens are choking in SQLite.

Oh well... that is why all the databases are not the same...

good luck.

Yes, about that c.firstname thing...

Do we need to turn in some kind'a formal "enhancement request?"  Seems the
feeling of those responding was that a configurable option was most desired.
Perhaps a PRAGMA?

So Richard, in all your spare time, what'd y'a think?

Fred