Raymond,

So far on this list I have only seen a reports of scalability problems
with sqlite when the real problems were specific queries being given to
sqlite that were constructed in a way that sqlite does not process well.
In every such case I can recall an alternative form of the query was able
to be produced (usually by DRH personally) that did not exhibit the
problem. Knowing the code, there is no reason for sqlite to be scaling
linearly in queries unless it is being forced to do table scans.

It is true that sqlite doesn't optimise queries as well as major
databases. It's not designed to. Users must take some care in constructing
their queries and ensuring the queries are suited to sqlite's design if
performance might be a problem. At the same time, such queries usually
perform much better than those of major databases because of the vastly
reduced optimisation and connection overhead that sqlite affords.

As with every database technology. If you care about performance you have
to understand some things about the design of your underlying technology.
For sqlite the design is simple and the experts are extremely responsive.
If you're having problems and can provide a clear, specifc description of
your problem you will get help. While queries such as "I think sqlite
scales linearly, but I can't tell you want queries I'm issuing to make
that happen" and "My scroll list seems slow, but I don't know what is
happening between the GUI and the database or what queries are going on"
are unlikely to solicit helpful response, "I am issuing this query on that
database schema with about 100 thousand rows each carrying 2k of data" is
likely to be something members of this list can help you solve.

I'd like to take this soapbox opportunity to again thank drh and his
associates for the wonderful work they put into sqlite and their genine
personal commitment to this project. Sqlite is a great product, and a
well-targeted one.

Benjamin

Raymond Irving <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
18/06/2004 12:09 AM