> Yes, I was a trifle optimistic with my estimates....
>
> On an operating system with a sensible I/O scheduler (I cannot say
> whether or not windows qualifies) it should normally take about
> two complete rotations of the disk platter to complete a write.
> Obviously a large change would take more than that, but the
> common case will usually work in two rotations.

ok. fact is, we have to live with windows. so, let me raise a matter that I
mentioned some messages back.
I have a feature request, which should be trivial for you to implement, but
will take hours for me, since I can barely read C,
and not write it, except for trivial cases. case is as follows:

could the "pragma synchronous" statement do a full disk flush when it
executes, in addition to changing the operating mode?

rationale:

assume that I can live with the database being in a high-risk state, for a
small window of time.  I would like to be able to do this:

pragma synchronous=off
... inserts,updates,deletes
pragma synchronous=full

this I *can* do, now, but I dont think that this sequence will flush the
in-memory caches when it ends. so, if the pragma did this automatically, the
above sequence would make sense. Is this something you could/would add ?
alternatively, a PRAGMA FLUSH statement would be fine,too.