It wasn't memory.  Or at least nothing obvious.  I ran Memtest86+ 5.01 in
SMP mode for 3 full passes (about 10 hours) with no errors.

On reflection, it didn't seem likely to be a kernel freeze anyway.  It
wasn't that the light on the keyboard was unresponsive, or not just that,
but that all the lights were off including the mouse laser.  The sort of
general "on" light in the tower was on, and the power supply fan was going,
but that's all.  I now wish I had looked at the motherboard readouts.
Anyway, that suggested a power distribution or power supply problem to me.
I just don't know how to bifurcate between the power supply and something
on the mobo USB interface.  And it hasn't happened again.