On Wednesday, 1 March, 2017 12:21, James K. Lowden <jklow...@schemamania.org>
wrote:

> Probably I'm overlooking something, and probably this is not the right
> forum.  SQLite adheres to the SQL standard; that's established.  Why
> does the standard say what it does?  I'm only saying it's not clear to
> me that there's theoretical justification.

I believe that Codd originally referred to this as the "Domain" requirement.
That is, that a "Parent" specified a domain, and that each "child" (member)
must be a part of that domain.  Hence the requirement for the "Domain" (Parent)
entries to be unique whilst the Child (Member of domain) entries are not, yet
have a referent (foreign key) to the relation specifying the domain.