> On Jun 9, 2017, at 3:05 PM, Simon Slavin <slav...@bigfraud.org> wrote:
>
> Tangential to SQLite, but there’s little on the list at the moment so perhaps
> some of you might like this.
> <https://tomharrisonjr.com/uuid-or-guid-as-primary-keys-be-careful-7b2aa3dcb439
>
> <https://tomharrisonjr.com/uuid-or-guid-as-primary-keys-be-careful-7b2aa3dcb439>>

He makes some questionable points, like saying that an ASCII string of hex has
a “9x cost in size” compared to a binary representation, or that hex strings
would somehow get larger when converted from ISO-8859-1 to UTF-8.

> Several of his points don’t apply to SQLite, which works differently from
> most SQL engines, but it’s interesting reading nevertheless.

Most of what he says is extremely RDBMS-centric, even though he never says so.
I have the feeling he’s never used a NoSQL database. To me the whole thing
comes off as pretty parochial — I have to laugh at his assertion that UUIDs
aren’t scalable, since in systems like Couchbase Server*, which handles
ridiculously huge data sets, it’s extremely common to use them as keys.

From a highly-scalable perspective, having a single global counter in the
database to assign consecutive integer keys is a horrifying bottleneck!

> (I find it ironic that the URLs for his posts are composed of two elements:
> an assigned piece of content and an arbitrary long number coded as
> hexadecimal.)

Blame that on Medium, which is hosting his blog posts :)

—Jens

* Disclaimer: I work for Couchbase (but on mobile software, not on servers.)