Thanks Keith. I followed your instructions but I'm now getting the following
compiler errors

[bcc32 Error] carray.c(412): E2342 Type mismatch in parameter 'xInit'
(wanted 'void (*)()', got 'void *')
// on the 'nErr += sqlite3_auto_extension((void*)sqlite3_carray_init); line'

[bcc32 Error] carray.c(430): E2040 Declaration terminated incorrectly
// on the '-DSQLITE_EXTRA_INIT=core_init' line

I assume carray.c wasn't being compiled at all the other way and that's why
there were no errors reported. I tried wrapping the carray.c code in extern
"C" {...carray.c code...} in case it was something to do with that but then
I got a 'Declaration terminated incorrectly' error on the first line which
contains extern "C" {