>From my personal experience, performance instability of SQLite queries
>(drastically jumping from milliseconds to seconds and back)
I haven't seen that sort of instability. We found some queries were
consistently poor until we ran ANALYZE, due to nature of the data, indexes and
queries. Altering SQL was insufficient to correct the problem.

I'm familiar with EXPLAIN QUERY PLAN. The query involves 5 tables. EXPLAIN
QUERY PLAN shows table scans for 3 of them before ANALYZE vs after there's only
1 table scan (and that's the table with 1 record so using an index wouldn't
materially affect perf). This is probably a (the?) reason for the perf delta.

This doesn't answer my question -- logs show PRAGMA optimize; appears to skip
the busy-handler and return SQLITE_BUSY. The documentation is silent re busy.
In fact the only related comment is

https://sqlite.org/pragma.html#pragma_optimize
...This pragma is usually a no-op or nearly so and is very fast. However if
SQLite feels that performing database optimizations (such as running ANALYZE or
creating new indexes) will improve the performance of future queries, then some
database I/O may be done. Applications that want to limit the amount of work
performed can set a timer that will invoke sqlite3_interrupt() if the pragma
goes on for too long....

SQLite's not performing too much work. It's performing NO work. Is this
intended? How is optimize intended to interact with busy/locked conditions?

FYI ANALYZE docs (https://sqlite.org/lang_analyze.html) are equally silent
regarding behavior in the face of locks and busy|locked conditions

I've looked over the source but we're into the deeper end of the complexity
pool. I see hints of locks in a few spots but nothing definitive or clear.

How are PRAGMA optimize; and ANALYZE; expected to behave in the face of
busy|locked conditions?
How are they expected to behave in relation to the busy-handler?

        - Howard