This is an interesting topic more belonging to the realms of information theory and statistical physics.

I am not an expert in this area but from what I recall from undergraduate physics the moment you create order in one corner of the universe entropy rises in another place of the universe. If you loosely speaking equate information gathering such as an SQL query as creating order then that must have a cost in terms of increasing the entropy (heat in this case) elsewhere. There is a lower bound on how little entropy is generated during this process which comes down to the efficiency of the process (hardware and software in your case).

One could get philosophical here and question whether mankinds computer modeling of climate change in itself causes the excess heat leading to global warming.

Regards,

Robert

--
Robert Oeffner, Ph.D.