In SO you have very little socialization going on. This mailinglist is
awesome because it is filled with people who will enthousiastically share
very detailed information, each in their own way. On SO there is no
long-term narrative.

I subscribed to this mailing list because I needed help, and I didn't
unsubscribe because of the interesting threads. With SO you have to be
dedicated to follow a content stream.

In my experience, Discourse offers a good balance between being chat-like
and mailinglist-like, while also storing the collected wisdom for
posterity. It does get indexed by search engines, see for example
https://www.google.pl/search?q=site:forum.waytools.com or
https://www.bing.com/search?q=site%3aforum.waytools.com

Indeed though, it requires JS to be enabled to post, but you can set up
reply by email:
https://meta.discourse.org/t/new-reply-via-email-support/7764