Simon Slavin-3 wrote
> Once you’ve bust the cache things slow down.

I do realize that. However, not illinearly. Once I bust the cache,
throughput should drop X times and stay there. Here, the speed decreases
with the progress. Let me put it this way: say the cache size was 0. I would
expect the delete to work very slow, but near-linear with the # of rows
being deleted or the progress of deleting them. Here the performance
dramatically and constantly decreases with growing of the WAL file. You can
literally see how every M of throughput is slower than the previous :) I am
trying to find out why. For me it's very important for the migration
process.

Simon Slavin-3 wrote
> Have you tried these things ?  Did the time taken improve or get worse ?

Not yet, we will probably implement what you proposed (it's been suggested
before). But if I can find out the reason behind the nonlinear DELETE
behavior, it would still help greatly.