On Mon, Dec 25, 2017 at 8:24 PM, Jay Kreibich <j...@kreibi.ch> wrote:

> > On Dec 25, 2017, at 12:24 PM, J. King <jk...@jkingweb.ca> wrote:
> >
> > SQLite source is managed in a Fossil (not Git)  repository, which is
> software itself designed by Dr. Hipp and based on SQLite. GitHub would be
> an entirely inappropriate venue.
> >
> > SQLite is also not open source software in the conventional sense.
> SQLite is written by a small team of people, and outside contributions are
> far less common than in most open source software.
>

> Indeed.  The core SQLite source code is free (as in beer, as in freedom),
> but its development is carefully controlled by Hwaci, the company
> responsible for employing SQLite developers.  Hwaci also owns the trademark
> to the name SQLite. Hwaci has several products, including extensions such
> as the SQLite encryption extensions, that are NOT free (as in beer, nor as
> in freedom).  The testing system used for SQLite, which represents a source
> base several times larger than the SQLite core, is also completely
> private.  Hosting such systems on Github would require a subscription fee
> and, frankly, why should they bother?

doesn't require a fee unless they want to amke it private.  It's not
private as it is (though it is a bit more work to track down how to get it).
They could still maintain strict control over merges as a public project.

I have a version on github I've been keeping up to date for the last month
or so...  https://github.com/d3x0r/sqlite3
<https://github.com/d3x0r/sqlite3/tree/master>  (And no, I don't plan to
maintain this forever; although it might end up that way)

Migrating the original fossil to github would be a lot of work to rebuild
the history in git format; plus they would lose color tagging on
branches...
Fossil is actually simpler to deal with since it's a single executable.

   -j