On Dec 26, 2017, at 2:47 AM, J Decker <d3c...@gmail.com> wrote:

> doesn't require a fee unless they want to amke it private.

You’re speaking of today’s benevolent policies.

Let’s review:

1. SourceForge: Once the largest host of FOSS software, eventually became
“evil” in the eyes of many of its users: lots of ads, removal of download
options, delays in downloads, injection of adware into FOSS binaries uploaded
by their customers…

2. Google Code: fully beneveolent…until Google got bored and quit.

3. Gna!:  A clone of GNU Savannah without the strict GNU policies, they
announced that they were going to stop offering service, then cut it off
without even providing the read-only access that Google Code did.  This
announcement only went out on one of their own mailing lists; I never saw it
echoed on the other FOSS news channels I monitor.  So one day, one of my
project repositories just disappeared off the web, with no way to recover it.

4. CodePlex: A huge project host once upon a time, it was shut down less than 2
weeks ago.

So instead of keeping control of our own tooling, we’re going to hand off
control to yet another benevolent-for-now free software host?  This time for
sure?

Keep in mind that the things people like about GitHub do not go with a project
when someone takes their Git clone of the project and pushes it to the next big
FOSS project hosting provider, whatever that may be.  The community, the issue
tracker, the pull tracker, github.io, and more all go away.  So, you get to
keep all of these nice improvements over Git only as long as GitHub, Inc. is
willing to let you have them.

It’s important that GitHub, Inc. does so only as long as they have serious
competition.  There are a few major FOSS hosts left, but they’re getting
scarce, and they’re often hosted by companies with motives no purer.
(Atlassian, Microsoft, etc.)

> I have a version on github I've been keeping up to date for the last month
> or so...  https://github.com/d3x0r/sqlite3

That’s another problem with GitHub: everyone can fork, so finding the “best”
fork is often a matter of relying on Google juice, hearsay, and luck.