On 1/6/18, Dinu <dinumar...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I think b-trees can store the counts of descendant nodes for every node to
> solve this issue in O(log n), but I don't see anything like it in the SQLite
> format.

They can do that, but it also means that all the parent b-tree pages
must be updated whenever an entry is added or removed from a leaf
page, which increases the amount of I/O needed for operations like
INSERT, DELETE, or UPDATE.  It seemed to me that INSERT, DELETE, and
UPDATE are rather more common than SELECT count(*),  so I decided not
to keep a child count in the b-tree pages when I first designed the
current b-tree format for SQLite.....  back in 2003.
--
D. Richard Hipp
d...@sqlite.org