Did a bit more digging, and the code I wrote is doing what its supposed to
do.  There is (what I'm calling) a bug with the string handling in the
wrapper (That I didn't write) I'm using that doesn't know how to deal with
"strings" type, but it does work fine with ansistrings, and I think the
translation between strings and ansistring seems to be messing up the
actual bind.

What I had before was this:
db.ExecSQL('delete from sqlite_sequence where
name=?',[ansistring('Magazines')]);

However, when I changed the line to this:
db.ExecSQL('delete from sqlite_sequence where name=''Magazines''');

The code did what I needed it to do.