Richard,

We use Discourse (as a user) to get support for the Mail in a Box system. MIAB use Discourse for their support systems. I also think Discourse is used for the Ionic support pages as well as they have very similar looking interfaces. Until now I paid little attention to them.

I was going to say that I wasn't too impressed with it as a system, then I thought again and realised that it actually works pretty well and doesn't get in your way too much. That's a pretty good compliment as the software isn't in your face all the time telling you how nice it is, anybody used Slack recently :) We use it quite a lot and in hindsight it works well.

We've never spun a Discourse system up, but I have some spare time this evening and might just put one on a VMWare ESXI server and see how it looks.

I may be older than Dr Hipp as I can recall running Unix on a 64KB (yep KB) box in the 80's, so am very familiar with maximising resources, but I go the other way now and and run dedicated (but small and self contained) boxes that are very focused and don't try to cram as much into a single box/instance/VM as possible. I don't care about the fact I'm running 30 small Linux boxes on my single ESXI server as I can spin them up and most of the time they don't do anything.

I accept the issues over maintenance though, but I have a standard set of instructions I follow to harden the boxes and restrict logins with things like fail2ban. From start to finish I can have a hardened Ubuntu box up in around 20-30 minutes. Very happy to share these instructions as somebody may say they are rubbish and can provide better hardening instructions.

I'm UK based, but happy to help, setting this sort of stuff up is something I can do and have regularly done (but NOT for Discourse), anyway I'm better at this than SQL :)

It's currently 20:30 UK time, can help, other people have helped me enough on this forum, so I feel I can contribute something back.

Thoughts on what needs to be done:

1. Setup the VMware instance correctly based on the Discourse info.

2. Provide some sort of access via ssh, passwords or whatever.

3. Details of IP addresses.

4. Firewall configure, Its not clear if these VM's are behind other firewalls and what the access rights are, e.g. you have https.

5. What's the SSL situation. We've just moved from RapidSSL to LetsEncrypt as a) They are free b) They self renew c) They weren't going to be blacklisted by Google as they were really Symantec certificates.

6. Does the installation need root access?

7. Postfix information, e.g. is it a satellite, a relay etc etc. One wrong move here and we get the IP address and domain name banned. Did that for our domain whilst setting up MIAB.

8. Installation of Discourse.

9. How do multiple people work together on the same box? Slack? Skype? Shouting loudly

10. Documenting the build?

11. How to test the build? Testers needed and a test plan needs to be put together. SQLite has an excellent reputation, this shouldn't sully it.

12. Profit?

Just my 2p worth,

Rob