On Thu, 14 Jun 2018, Warren Young wrote:

On Jun 14, 2018, at 8:36 AM, x <tam118...@hotmail.com> wrote:

It is indeed windows Ryan and at times we’re talking 120 secs versus 30 + 14.

I can think of two good possibilities:

1. Are you using Windows Defender or some other antimalware solution?

If it’s a third-party product, some of those are very aggressive, and they may
be poking around in the internals of the SQLite DB on every I/O, which adds
tremendous overhead.  That overhead would be charged to another process, not to
the system, giving your reported symptom.

Definitely a +1 on this one. Beside Windows Defender, Windows 10's built-in file indexing service will open each new and updated file to inspect its content, consuming substantial CPU and I/O as well as blocking access to the content. These actions are documented to only occur when it won't impact the user, but of course that is not true.

Something else which can take substantial time which is not attributed to the program is memory page faults. These might not be attributed to the program (e.g. as 'sys' time) since a kernel driver performs the I/O for page faults.

Bob
--
Bob Friesenhahn