Hi Rob,

Is there significant read access (iostat: r/s) during these slow writes ? If
yes, it might be due to a small cache, requiring the database to read (index)
pages before updating them.

And is the data you're adding in both databases (large/small) added at the end
of the table using the autoincrement, or do you insert some items in the middle
? I'm not a SQLite performance expert, but in other databases performance can
be very different because in the former case fewer pages must be updated.

Microsoft SQL Server has something called "fill factor", basically the max
percentage of an index page that is used during initial fill, which helps
avoiding too many page shuffling in the index when extra items are added.
Disadvantage: it makes DBAs argue endlessly about the best fill factor ;-)
Maybe there's something similar possible in SQLite but I couldn't find a pragma
for this.

Oh, and do both databases have the same page size, preferably 4K ?

Regards,

Droedel