On Oct 11, 2018, at 2:25 PM, Eric <e...@deptj.eu> wrote:

> On Thu, 11 Oct 2018 10:20:08 -0600, Warren Young <war...@etr-usa.com> wrote:
>> On Oct 11, 2018, at 12:26 AM, Darren Duncan <dar...@darrenduncan.net> wrote:
> 8>< --------
>
>>> This makes me think that it would be useful, if it doesn't already,
>>> for Fossil to have something analogous to a database replication feature.
>>
>> That's pretty much what Fossil *is*: a replicated database.

[snip]

> This is nothing like database replication as generally understood, which
> is commonly done by applying redo (write-ahead) logs from the other side,
> but it is exactly what Fossil needs.

I agree that what Fossil does is not the same thing as general-purpose
relational database replication, but it doesn’t need to be general-purpose.
Fossil’s synchronization mechanism is custom-tailored to its specific purpose.

If you were hoping to use Fossil as a general-purpose SQLite replication
system, then yeah, it’s not going to work for you.  You might want to look at
Bedrock:

    http://bedrockdb.com/

> The interlocking of artifacts by cryptographic hashes does seem very much
> like the same idea as blockchain

Relevant: https://fossil-scm.org/index.html/doc/trunk/www/blockchain.md

I prefer the term Merkle tree, as it gets you away from all the hype around
cryptocurrencies, but drh prefers blockchain, so that’s what I use now when
talking about Fossil.

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Merkle_tree