On Fri, 12 Oct 2018 00:06:38 +0200, R Smith <ryansmit...@gmail.com> wrote:

>> WARNING: the following sentence will be claimed to be controversial:
>>
>> No database based on SQL is truly relational.
>
> LOL - who would claim that to be controversial?
>
> It doesn't spur controversy...
>
> It's worthy of a shrug at best, perhaps a "So what?".

You may say that, many others would disagree.

8>< --------

> An SQL database is deemed "Relational" when it can communicate mildly
> relational data using mildly relational (but mathematically sound)
> methods. It doesn't need to be (nor claim to be) the Almighty keeper of
> all relationality, nor even simply conform to various specific
> interpretations of the word "Relation".

There is no such thing as relational data, data is what it is and the
Relational Model (E.F.Codd ...) is a way of organising data (any data,
despite many arguments to the contrary). Using "relational" as a sort of
generic term, or as a metaphor, leads to confusion because it hides the
fact that there is a formal system which is behind the creation of SQL
databases, except that the various implementers got it wrong, including
missing out some key points of the Model.

> PS: While I feel some ambivalence towards the subject, I was nodding in
> agreement with most of your post, till that line appeared.   :)

Thankyou!

> PPS: Apologies for inventing some words there....

I have no problem with that.

Eric
--
ms fnd in a lbry