Consider the following SQL:

   CREATE TABLE t1(a INTEGER, b REAL);
   INSERT INTO t1 VALUES(5,5);
   SELECT a/2, b/2 FROM t1;

From the above SQL, SQLite version 3.2.7 and earlier will return

   2|2

If my proposed changes for 3.3.0 go in, then the result will be:

   2.5|2.5

If I understand what most people are saying, the SQL standard
says that the result should be:

   2|2.5

Does this correctly summarize the situation?

Do other SQL database engines consistently return the 3rd case?

Am I alone in thinking that a division operator that does
different things depending on the declared datatype of a
column is an abomination?

Does anybody have a real-world example where any of this
will actually make a difference, or is this really just an
academic argument?

--
D. Richard Hipp <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>