On 12/18/18 6:21 AM, R Smith wrote:

> I'm not even going to touch on silly/stupid programming and
> calculations that round along the intermediate steps, those have been
> mentioned already, they are evil and it isn't the fault of the storage
> medium.

Actually, periodically rounding IS a valid method IF you know the
'precision' of the native numbers. For example, if you know that all the
numbers in a list supposed to be exact values to two decimals, as you
add them up the rounding error grows, and if the list is long enough,
can cause an error i those two decimal digits, but by periodically
rounding to that two decimals resets the rounding error.

The error is in doing this sort of rounding when the input numbers are
NOT known to be 'exact' to those two digits, but you round to that
precision. THAT rounding will increase the error in the calculation.

--
Richard Damon