> I wonder whether SQLite is treating each DELETE as a single transaction.
> Could you try wrapping the main delete in BEGIN ... END and see whether that
> speeds up the cascaded DELETE ?  Would you be able to find timings (either in
> your code or in the command-line tool) and tell us whether it's the DELETE or
> the END which takes the time ?

Ok, well.... very interesting and I'd never have had this idea, but indeed it
works: within a transaction, it takes only a few seconds. This is very
surprising as to me, a single DELETE statement is nothing more than that: a
single atomic operation which should automatically be treated as a transaction
(auto-commit-mode).

*confused*