On Wednesday, 10 April, 2019 14:21, Peter da Silva <res...@gmail.com> wrote:

>On Wed, Apr 10, 2019 at 3:12 PM Keith Medcalf <kmedc...@dessus.com> wrote:

>> Why would anyone fart about with added complication and the
>> concomittant increased unreliability when storage is so damn cheap?

>Embedded systems and mobile devices.

You mean "play things", for the most part.

By their very definitions "play things" do not require reliability and as such
the added complication and inherent increase in unreliability due to that
increased complexity is of no real effect.

I am used to dealing with "important shit".  That means that if it stops
working, even for a minute, it might entail costs of millions of dollars and
perhaps a few deaths or cripplings as well.

There is a very great difference between the "streaming media crap" not working
for a bit and you have to (heavens forbid) read a book, or the mail server
going down for a day or two, which are really nothing more than minor
inconveniences by comparison.  The streaming box screws up?  Throw it out and
buy another.  In the "play things" world adding complexity to increase
unreliability and save a few pennies is often a reasonable trade-off.  After
all, nothing of any real significance will be lost -- it is merely a bit of
inconvenience to suffer through with no real lasting impact.

On the other hand if the consequence of failure is certain death of 10 people,
then I would much rather be spending more money on reliable hardware to
maintain the designed level of reliability than to save a few shekels by
tossing "compression" into the mix thereby reducing reliability and increasing
the probability (through an increase in unpredictable failure modes) of those
10 people dying.  I think if you were one of those 10 people with your life at
risk you would see things the same way.

>But of course those probably don't apply here. :)

It is all a matter of perspective.  Lets imaging that the problem with the
747MAX was not that the new control system was designed by an idiot and that
insufficient training on the detection and correction of the "we know this is
going to be a problem" so intruduced were not the issue.  Lets say instead that
the files were merely a bit too big for the hard drives they decided to use.
They have the option of (a) spending an additional $100 and getting larger
storage and not changing the failure scenario's at all; or, (b) not spending
any money and instead adding yet another layer of software to perform
"compression" instead (thus changing the failure scenario's because now you
have a whole whack of new failure modes).

The "Play Things" people consider that the crash of the airliner and the loss
of equipment and all life aboard is merely an "inconvenience" and will choose
option (b) because hey, the software always works, right?  The "Important Shit"
people will consider that the *possible* increase in risk of loss of equipment
and life due to the addition of yet more complexity cannot be tolerated and
will chose option (a) because it is far more cost effective than the analysis
that will be required to *prove* option (a) has not increased the risk.

I simply happen to fall into the "Important Shit" category of people by
default.  I am somewhat risk-adverse as they say.  If the risk associated with
a thing is significant, then spend as much as required to reduce that risk to
an acceptable level.  If the risk associated with a thing is negligible, then
get the cheapest shit available and when it "breaks" throw it out and get
another.

This does not mean that the "Play Things" outlook is incorrect.  It merely
depends on the garden in which you are playing and in to which category the
product falls.

---
lot about anticipated traffic volume.