On 2019/05/13 11:42 AM, Manuel Rigger wrote:
Hi Ryan,

I hope my question did not offend you. I didn't expect that the answer to
this question would be considered to be that obvious.

Goodness, I was not offended and apologies if my reply read in that way - it was just an honest account - and - if I were to stoop so low as to "take offense" at a question, I would never answer it publicly.

Please know that it is obvious to most Database people (er... what is a good word...? shall we say "Afficionados"?), but that in no way means that you *should* have known or that I (or most others here) would scoff at anyone not knowing this. I once did not know this, and now to me it was nothing but an opportunity to teach/relay that which I have been taught.

As to the question, let me see if I could entice your mind to see the obviousness with us: Try to imagine how you would program a database engine upon which constraints could be placed, the underlying methods or values of which may persist in separate files/schemata/tables which may all be transacted upon from alternate connections while they are not in view, or not accessible to the engine itself, but the engine is still expected to uphold the constraints.

I am hoping that after some thinking on the matter, either the obviousness would materialize for you, or possibly you will come up with a method that could change the face of RDBMS capabilities forever!

I'm hoping for the latter, but will take the former as a second prize. :)

Cheers!

Ryan