Rowan Worth, on Monday, May 20, 2019 03:02 AM, wrote...
>On Sat, 18 May 2019 at 00:34, Tony Papadimitriou <to...@acm.org> wrote:
>
>> It’s quite often (for me, at least) the case I need to do something like
>> this from the command line:
>>
>> >sqlite3.exe my.db “insert into t values(‘simple field’,’multi-line text
>> copied from some other app’)
>>
>> The problem is the multi-line text cannot be copy-pasted directly into the
>> command line as the first newline will terminate the command.  So, I’ve
>> been using readline() like so:
>>

>I haven't tested on windows, but FWIW the interactive sqlite3 shell has no
>such limitation - statements are free to span multiple lines. ie. you can
>type:
>
>   sqlite> INSERT INTO T VALUES('simple field', '«paste-
>      ...> multi-line-
>      ...> content»')
>      ...> ;
>
>I guess you'd also prefer to not have to type out the full INSERT statement
>each time, but this kind of seems like a shell problem more than an sqlite
>problem!

The only problem with this, and some of the previous copy and paste ideas is
that if there is a single quote (') in that pasted data, it can mess up the
data.  If you know that there is not going to be a ' in there, you're ok.
Otherwise, I have been bitten by this a few times, where I have to do more work
than necessary.  Just my $US 0.02.  Thanks.

josé