On 5/7/19 3:14 AM, Larry Brasfield wrote:
> I notice that you have ignored repeated requests for insight into why
> you have made your inquiry. People who may be able to help you with
> your objective ask for such information because, often, that leads to
> or permits a more direct solution to your actual problem.
In fact, this phenomenon happens so often, it even has a Wikipedia
entry: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XY_problem

It's surprisingly easy to build a consulting career around asking just
one question, "What problem *X* are you trying to solve, for which you
think this method *Y* is the (probably incorrect) solution?". The real
trick is to summon the patience to guide your clients through the
process of discovering *X*, because they're almost always fixated with *Y*.