On Sat, Aug 31, 2019 at 12:24 PM Rob Willett <rob.sql...@robertwillett.com>
wrote:

> 5. SQLite seems to be able to do anything we want it to. [...]
> Other people seem worried about the 'lack' of some datatypes, we do
> masses of data and date conversations as needed and it's never been a
> speed issue or any issue.

 (since I'm often one of those "other people", I feel compelled to reply to
that one)

As Keith wrote above in this thread, it's all about "integrity", and why
I'd want more datatypes in SQLite.

An integer column (e.g. number of seconds since Epoc, or gregorian days, or
else) or a
text column (e.g. RFC XYZ datetime, local-TZ or not) says nothing about
that column, and certainly
does not enforce anything by itself. Rare are the people actually adding
CHECK constraints to enforce those.
So having more specialized datatypes provides more semantic information in
the schema itself,
and that a good thing, a very good thing indeed.

Of course you can do anything with SQLite despite that, or the "flexible
typing" dear to DRH,
just like you can code anything in a duck-typing scripting language like
you can in a statically
typed language. But more typing does help in the long run IMHO, and is very
valuable. FWIW... --DD