On 12/30/19 10:10 PM, Pierpaolo Bernardi wrote:
On Tue, Dec 31, 2019 at 4:07 AM Keith Medcalf <kmedc...@dessus.com> wrote:

On Monday, 30 December, 2019 19:29, Michael Falconer
<michael.j.falco...@gmail.com> wrote:

As we approach the end of yet another year ( and indeed decade ).
Technically, every year is the end of a decade, if one means the immediately
preceding ten years.

However, if you mean the end of the second decade of the 21st century, you will
have to wait another year for that.  January 1st, 0001 AD was the first day of
the year 1.  The first decade ended at the end of December 31st 0011 AD, not
December 31st, 0010 AD. (if following the proleptic Gregorian calendar).
Languages don't work like this.

https://www.collinsdictionary.com/dictionary/english/decade

Cheers

Its a difference between ordinals and numerals. The 20th century was from the beginning of 1901 to the end of 2000. We also have the century called the 1900's which went from 1900 to the end of 1999.

Decade would work the same way, the 202st decade goes from 2011 to end of 2020, but the 2010s go from 2010 to end of 2019.

--
Richard Damon