Andrew Piskorski <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 14, 2006 at 10:16:14AM -0500, Kervin L. Pierre wrote:
>
> > We are getting ready to start using in- memory database to cache
> > sqlite reads/writes in effort to improve speed.  For background,
>
> > Since we read much more than we write, reading from memory should
> > improve.
>
> Shouldn't SQLite's built-in cache for disk-backed databases already
> accomplished that for reads?  Have you tested the actual performance?

I'm reading and replying to this message using an SQLite-backed
email client  See

  http://www.sqlite.org/cvstrac/wiki?p=ExperimentalMailUserAgent.

All incoming and archival emails are stored as BLOBs in a table.
The full text of messages is indexed.  It is all very fast and
I haven't had to do anything special to make it so.

Of course, all this assumes a modern workstation.  Perhaps your MUA
is designed to work on a handheld with cheapest (read: slowest)
flash memory available and a 50 MHz ARM processor or something?

--
D. Richard Hipp   <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>