On 5/22/06, Brannon King <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> _Personally_ I think, this sounds like a task not quite
> fitting in sqlites (probably any 'standard' databases) realm.
> This is a bit off-topic in this group, but because you
> mention sub-boxes - did you ever look into more specialized
> file-formats like HDF5:
>
> http://hdf.ncsa.uiuc.edu/HDF5/

What a fantastic link and suggestion! I just may end up using it.

Interesting, but it doesn't have any adhoc query capability:

"Performance-wise, how does HDF5 compare to a relational database?

     It really depends on your application. HDF5 is tuned to do
efficient I/O and storage for "big" data (hundreds of megabytes and
more). It will not work well for small reads/writes.

     It doesn't have indexing capabilities, though we are working on
some limited features. See the HDF5_Prototype_Indexing_Requirements
for details.

     HDF5 was designed to complement DBs and not to compete with them. "