[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
Eric Bohlman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> > I'm thinking that all documentation is better placed in
> > a wiki.
>
> Hmmm.  The problem I see is that it makes access to the full
> documentation contingent on connectivity to a possibility ephemeral
> external site.  Maybe the solution is to incorporate wiki snapshots into
> the distribution somehow (maybe by including an embedded server in the
> distribution, something like Sean Burke's Podwebserver that enables me
> to have the complete Perl documentation, in HTML format, sitting in a
> tab on my browser even if my Internet connection goes down).
>
> I guess I just have a problem with the "everything you need to know is
> on someone else's machine" attitude that seems to be spreading.

This is a very reasonable point.

The new SCM I (and others) are working on will allow you to
quickly and easily download the entire source code/wiki/ticket
repository and/or synchronize your local repository with remote
changes.  So ultimately this will not be an issue.  But all that
is still in the future.

Perhaps you can suggest minor changes or enhancements to
CVSTrac (http://www.cvstrac.org/) that will allow use to do
something similar with the wiki right away - some way to download
the whole wiki collection and run it locally.  CVSTrac already
includes its own web server, so that part is done for you already.

--
D. Richard Hipp   <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>