Dave Dyer wrote:
At 08:04 PM 11/30/2006, John Stanton wrote:

Those are Macintosh issues, not Sqlite, and you need to handle them in your
application.

Yes indeed.  I'm only suggesting that sqlite would be a better
substrate if it provided a supported way to tell me "I can't open
the database" rather than "there is no table named xx".

Sqlite has a carefully thought through minimalism. Feature creep would detract from its function as a small footprint, embedded DB. If you want different features there is nothing to stop you adding your own library extension, like "daves_sqlite3_open" which does just what you want. You could also add the logic necessary to handle the different features of legacy and current Apple OS's.

If you have a nice result you might consider donating it to the Sqlite project as your appreciation for getting free software.