>From what I know, it seems plausible that a filesystem snapshot should
provide a robust backup for an SQLite3 database; most modern OS's have
some way to atomically grab an image of a filesystem (LVM on Linux, VSS
on Windows, fssnap on Solaris, etc.).  I'm no SQLite expert though, so
I'd suggest you wait to hear from someone who is before you expend a lot
of energy checking out this option.

(Another alternative often suggested is to start a read transaction and
then backup the database file before ending that transaction, to ensure
that writers don't change the file while you're backing it up.)

-- James