That is useful to know (i.e. non-testing of the shell).  Thanks.

Does "the core" include the tcl driver (what I use)?  (It must- the driver is
in there and the testing is done with tcl, all of this being partly why I chose
tcl for my app- but I want to make sure I'm not somehow misunderstanding...)

Then:

How might one do the equivalent of a .dump from a trivial tcl script (and
therefore avoid the shell)?   Sort of a reverse "copy" method... and not the
same as logging (trace).  Is there a way to dump from tcl?  Am I being stupid
here- I haven't seen it...

Based on the testing info, if one could do this, presumably one would have a
(more reliable) dump/backup in a simple script.  (And if it happens that one's
sqlite code is tcl using the tcl driver, as mine is, so much the better in all
kinds of ways including crossplatform considerations.)

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote: Travis Daygale  wrote:
> Tangentially, but hopefully in keeping with this thread, for the 3.3.9
> release, the change log shows:
> Fixed the ".dump" command in the command-line shell to show indices, triggers
> and views again.
>
> There was apparently a bug there. I was unaffected but _apparently_ would
> have been hurt had I not skipped some versions.  (I have A LOT of important
> triggers for foreign key handling.)
>
> Should we feel insecure about dump?  I know sqlite3 is in development, but
> overall, is the .dump command usually reliable (is there anything about the
> relevent code that might make the bug reports not the full story)?  Are there
> recommended ways of doing backups that would be more reliable?

Good point.

Everything in the SQLite core, including VACUUM, is carefully tested
before each release.  But this is not true of things in the shell.
So one can expect the core to be much more reliable than the shell.
--
D. Richard Hipp